Introduction to the courseEnvironmental challenges, including climate change, are changing the way businesses work, either because they are forced to or because they proactively seek to. Green businesses are more profitable and future proof. They save scarce resources, help maintain healthy ecosystems, minimize pollution and waste, limit greenhouse emissions, and provide green goods and services that enable more responsible consumption patterns. Green businesses are vital for a development model that delivers a triple bottom-line of prosperity, planet and people. However, sustainability as a business driver is novel, and companies will need support in the process. Therefore, this course will capacitate business service providers to support companies in the process towards greening the economy. The benefits from flourishing green businesses are twofold. The business community becomes more competitive while at the same time the jobs produced are supporting a societal change towards greener and healthier lives for people. Therefore, governments and private sector support agencies have a clear role and motive to promote greening of businesses and create an enabling environment for green business and job growth. Developed and middle-income countries are leading the way in supporting green business development, while a number of low-income countries are also taking positive steps. How do they do this? What works and what does not work in supporting green business development? Join this course to find out and stay tuned on green business growth strategies.
Who attends this course?This course targets policy makers and business service providers involved in the design and implementation of national or local strategies and instruments to support the greening of businesses:
- Employers' and business membership organizations,
- SME agencies, business development service providers and business incubators,
- Development practitioners responsible for green business finance and/or green business development,
- Development agencies sponsoring green SMEs and entrepreneurship,
- Members from civil society organizations supporting green business growth.
What topics does this course cover?This course provides both a conceptual and practical overview of how business
service providers and business membership organizations support SMEs going green,
- Green business development services, green business competitions, green business training, marketing, fast prototyping and B2B
- Green innovation models, certification, eco-labelling
- Greening business operations and value chains
- Green financial instruments: Green loans, green bonds and green investments
- Approaches for assessing and building a conducive environment for green businesses.