Global Employment Trends 2013: Facts and figures for Middle East
- As economic growth slows in most of the region, unemployment is on the rise again following a decline over most of the 2000s.
- Unemployment topped 10 per cent in 2012, and youth unemployment was above 26 per cent. Youth unemployment rates are expected to rise further.
- There are vast differences within the region, oil-exporting Gulf countries typically have low single-digit unemployment rates.
- In Gulf countries, public employment has been expanded in an attempt to address the adverse consequences of high unemployment for nationals.
- Value added per capita growth remains low and productive structural change is expected to decelerate during 2011-17, compared to 2007-2011. (See 2nd chart below)
Mouse over the charts to see the values